16 October 2009

For the sake of being completely uncreative this week, I wanted to share a few great articles I've stumbled upon these past few days . Enjoy!!

  • Kari, from Persistent Cookie recently wrote about 'What makes a grown up?' It was good to hear that at 30 people are having the same (same same but different, if you speak Asian tourist language) thoughts everyone I know is having today. I think it's nice to remember that while we are going through the college/ real life transition, everyone else is going through a transition of their own. To quote Kari, "This way go, that way stay; for you one and for me the other, and in the end, each of us is right. Anything could happen, but only one thing will. Understanding and accepting that? That's being a grown up." That pretty much sums up everything in my head right now.
  • I read a great little article on the Matador Community blog, and it connected to my love for cities. I can't imagine not living in a city. I love NYC because it's big, I love Boston because it's small, I love the idea of San Fran because it's new and I can't wait to go explore New Orleans (two weeks!) I'm taking a class on "The Urban City" and it's challenges and opportunities today and it's been making me think about location a lot. I've never considered not living in a city. But when I become a "grown up" (see above) will I want a house? Will I want the suburbs? It's funny to even think about... I can't even dream of needing a car right now. Doug Foy was a guest speaker in class last night and he said, "Never live where you can't walk to buy milk." I want to always live by that rule... even when I do have a car. My favorite part of the article: "...the curious need to listen to conversations I can never understand. Spoken in a dozen languages. And yet I listen and listen as if it will suddenly all become clear. Like music." Maybe this is a newfound realization upon returning home, but that - hands down - is my favorite thing about living in a city.
  • Joanna sent me a great link to Food Rules. Some of them are silly, some smart. Interesting fact: In Vietnam (As in Italy) we always ate fruit after dinner. If it was easier (and cheaper) for me to procure here, I'd be doing it all of the time, but it's nice to be reminded that so many other cultures are a lot healthier then us. When are we going to catch on? I also love the Zen post, because I love everything Zen.
  • I found a great website called Man vs. Debt and with only little exploring so far, think it's worth sharing. That particular article quotes Tyler Durden, whom I love, and applies some of his quotes as personal wisdom for finance. A fun way to approach things, if you (like I) need to take a break from all of the drama that debt is starting to bring into your life.
  • Another great article from the Matador Network. To be or not to be, the grass is always greener, the road not taken, when you say yes to something you're saying no to something else... These might be cliche, but they are phrases that seem to burden us all. Positive note? You're not the only one. You get a little taste of travel and you inevitably want more. You settle down and you want a family. Which is right? Which is better? I'm finding that no matter your age, we're all wondering the same things... 'is the decision I'm making the right one?' I don't think there's a right answer. But to come full circle here... "Understanding and accepting that? That's being a grown up."
  • A final quote from the Happy Days Blog with the NYTimes: "We can’t change the world except insofar as we change the way we look at the world — and, in fact, any one of us can make that change, in any direction, at any moment. The point of life, in the view of the Dalai Lama, is happiness, and that lies within our grasp, our untapped potential, with every breath."

No comments:

Post a Comment