05 October 2009

I love books.

I might love books more then any other person I know. Except Michaela. And Marisa. And Nikki. Okay so I'm a lot of my closest friends also have the same obsession. But it's incredible to me just how many books there are out there. Think about it.. walk into a library or a book store and if you have the same obsession as me, it's hard to contain yourself. I could sit in there for hours, and sometimes I do. Michaela and I use to joke about how we like to judge a book by its cover, and it's completely true. We don't like hard cover books, so we barely even look at those, but the ones I pick up have to grasp my ADD-self to really make me want to pick it up. When I came home from Vietnam I think I bought about ten books, going to the bookstore every day because I could. That's the only reason. When I just moved into my new apartment I spent my hard earned cash on a book shelf, and while it's not yet as good as Michaela's, I'm pretty proud of it. Some of them are borrowed (Thanks Mom!) but they all spark my interest in some way- even if it is just the cover. Some are self-help/new age/inspirational types. Some are cookbooks (I still want a Julia Child's cookbook, if anyone out there is listening...) and general food inquires (currently anything by Marion Nestle, and Fast Food Nation.) The others a good mix of fiction, non-fiction, and classics (not too many of those, but a few Jane Austin novels are always nice to fall back on.)

I don't know why I assumed you were all interested in that.. but here's my point. I love books. I love looking at them, I love talking about them, and I would really love it if I got around to reading them. My friend Lisa was just cleaning out her apartment and I got about ten new books- maybe the best thing to happen to me in a while.

Then, thanks to Marisa, I was reading about America's Smartest Cities. Boston is number 3! And the quote I read was what inspired me to write this blog:

When you go into somebody’s office or you go into their home, one of the things you case out is their bookshelf,” says Fiery Cushman, a postdoctoral fellow in psychology at Harvard University. “Bostonians have unrealistic expectations about how much reading they can get done.”

Can't argue with that.

Also, not for nothing, but San Fran is #2. I really know how to pick 'em huh?

This is also where I say that I officially consider myself a Bostonian. Not that I'm smart, but I'm wicked excited for Celtics season to begin, and the Sox first playoff game is Thurs. Nothing to complain about here.

1 comment:

  1. wuthering heights! tale of two cities! classics are great

    ReplyDelete