09 June 2011

Rest in Peace

There are some people in your life that really make a difference. That shape who you want to become, and give you the courage to follow your dreams. Then, somewhere along the road of growing up, you lose touch with that person and you only think of it after it's too late. Kevin Kavanaugh was that person for me. He taught me how to play the piano, and inspired my love for music. I disappointed him often (I barely ever practiced) but I always showed up to my lessons. We talked about life, about my parents, about his daughter, about school. And then, eventually, I stopped showing up. But I kept studying music, all the way until the day I graduated college with a degree in music industry. Did he have anything to do with that? I guess in hindsight, he had everything to do with that. Kevin and I kept in touch long after I stopped playing the piano. When he came to visit his daughter in Boston we planned to meet up, and of course that never happened. I didn't even know he was sick.


The original keyboard player for Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, Kevin's recieved a beautiful recognition on their homepage. As a musician, teacher and mentor, he's touched many lives - and we can be thankful that we knew him.







RIP Kevin. You will be missed more than you know.




No comments:

Post a Comment