15 August 2011

The other day I had the pleasure of having lunch with a student that I went to Ecuador with. He e-mailed me recently telling me that he got accepted into the Peace Corps, and he wanted to meet up before he left. In a month, he's off to Rwanda to teach English. I am so incredibly excited for him, and in a way I feel proud. As he shared his story with me and asked me questions about my experience teaching English, I had a rush of feelings come over me. We spent two hours (long lunch - oops!) talking about what it's like living in other countries, what he's looking forward to, what I miss. I suddenly remembered this other part of my life - a time when everything was new and exciting and I was facing my fears and being brave and seeing new horizons and living every day to the fullest, because when else would I be in this position again? He told me of his goals and I reminisced about a life past, and suddenly realized that it doesn't have to be a life past. I can do this again.

I love New York, I've applied to jobs there and I would, in theory, move there. But if everything is happening for a reason, then the no call backs are a sign of something else. Maybe I don't belong there right now. Maybe I should get back to what started all of this in the first place - traveling and doing service work all over the world. That afternoon, I sat down on google and searched international jobs, and I found a website that might be a life changer for me. Over the past few days I've really searched the website and talked to the people that know me best, and I'm going for it. This could put me in another country in only 6 short months, if I don't flee any sooner.

My wonderful roommate then sent me this article, an amazing letter of advice. Some of my favorite parts:

"Who we become is born of who we most primitively are; that we both know and cannot possibly know what it is we’ve yet to make manifest in our lives."

"Let whatever mysterious starlight that guided you this far, guide you onward into whatever crazy beauty awaits."

"You have to be kind. You have to give it all you got. You have to find people who love you truly and love them back with the same truth."

"Whatever happens to you belongs to you"


And then today, I read this, and everything seems to be falling into place.

1 comment:

  1. Love this. You are one of my favorite blogs to read! Your posts always make me want to get up and do something.

    ReplyDelete