22 September 2011

Last weekend I went up to Acadia, ME for a hiking and camping trip. It is always amazing to get out of the city and explore parts of New England. Maine is absolutely huge and it always blows my mind. Even the one island that we were on had so many mountains to hike, and there are multiple islands you can camp on. There's so much to see! We hiked to three summits - Mt. Champlain, Mt. Door and Mt. Cadallaic. The last one is the highest mountain along the atlantic coast, and it's said if you drive up there (it's the only summit you can drive to on the island) before sunrise, you'd be the first person to see sunlight. We discussed that happening but there was no way we could function that early in the morning - hiking really wears you out!


Summit @ Mt. Door


Summit @ Mt. Champlain




The thing I love most about hiking is the feeling you get when you're done. It's not euphoria or endorphins, but just... accomplishment. There are times when I look at the rock in front of me and just can't fathom how I could possible climb up it, or walk on a ledge with no railing that will inevitablly lead to death if you take one wrong step or slip. But then those things don't happen and you make it. You do find a way to climb the rock that doesn't seem physically possible, it just happens. Our bodies are capable of incredible things. When you make it to the summit the view is incredible - but what's even more incredible is that you made it. I'm so grateful that these guys enjoy hiking, and are always willing to pick me up in Boston and bring me with them. And, like I said, it's always nice to get out of the city. Check out the whole album here.

No comments:

Post a Comment