07 November 2011

I've been away for about two weeks on what turned out to be an amazing journey. A few crazy days in Vegas with one of my best friends from college. A few lazy days in LA with an amazing cousin I haven't connected with in years. A night in San Diego, wandering the Gaslamp Quarter by myself. Meeting tons of new people, making new connections. I love a good vacation. I think it's necessary to leave your comfort zone every once in a while, experience something new and explore what's around you. Those few days when I wasn't a slave to the grove put a lot of things in perspective for me and I feel refreshed. Exactly what the doctor ordered! (Metaphorically, of course.) Since I'm still catching up on my life, I have a ton of interesting things to share. Beware, I have more than two weeks of google reader to catch up on... Enjoy!
____________________________________

I have a soft spot for anything New York. The video is simple, but I love the familiarity of it. And the song is beautiful. And, not for nothing, but I'm pretty sure 2:18 is Asbury Park...?!

I'm fairly certain Christopher McDougall is a genius. This article touches briefly on his theory - we should be running barefoot. I bought his book for my dad and he read it cover to cover faster than I've seen him read anything in my entire life. He sent it back to me (which was obviously my plan) but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I can't wait. I know a few people with the Vibram Fivefingers and I've heard mixed reviews. I know a few guys who love them and I know others who have horror stories. I think the problem with the latter is that they haven't changed their form. It's not just running barefoot, it's changing our entire way of running, and it's a process that takes time. I can't wait to read the book and venture out into my own exploration on the 100-ups and the pose method. Easier running with no injuries? Count me in. For more inspiration on distance running, a little Marathon training love from a track star. I love her ambition and her sense of humor; “I have to go be in a coma now,” Fleshman said, adding “All I want to do is lay down and be fed grapes and expensive cheeses by my good-looking husband.”

“You are what you are. Now, you just have to convince yourself that what you are is perfect and great. You don’t need to be better. You just need to be you.” - Fleshman, in the article above. This doesn't just apply for marathon training - this needs to be remembered for every day life.

"Deep practice is built on a paradox: struggling in certain targeted ways- operating at the edges of your ability, where you make mistakes- makes you smarter. Or to put it a slightly different way, experiences where you’re forced to slow down, make errors and correct them- as you would if you were walking an ice-covered hill, slipping and stumbling as you go- end up making you swift and graceful without your realizing it." -Daniel Coyle. I forget the first place I heard this but like the above quote because it can be applied to so many things. Personally, it reminds me of yoga and how the whole point of the practice is to make mistakes and push your body to places you didn't know it could go. It's only then that you get stronger.

Start a Revolution. I can't even explain how much I love this. Recreate yourself as you choose.

This video makes me so happy. Thanks Abby!

I taught this girl everything she knows. Okay so that's a lie. But I did teach her how to drink.




"Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray." -Rumi



Believe it or not I have more to share... look out for part 2 soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment