13 November 2011

Nicholas Kristof is by far my favorite journalist. His passion moves me and I'm incredibly grateful to him for bringing light to the human trafficking movement. This past week he joined another hero of mine, Somaly Mam, to raid a brothel in Cambodia- an incredibly dangerous task as most brothels in the county are armed and run by people in the military or police force (and most of those mentioned are also customers.) He documented their steps on twitter, but you can read his article here. Additionally, his past few articles also hit home for me, on girls education, and an organization changing lives through literacy. When I read articles like this I miss Vietnam more than I can put into words, but I know that the work I end up doing will bring me back to my favorite part of the world. It chills me that Kristof sees progress - not something many human trafficking advocates can see in their day to day work. But still - there's just so much to be done. If you want to read more about Kristof's efforts I urge you to read Half the Sky, an incredible movement he started with his wife to "emancipate women and fight global poverty by unlocking women's power as economic catalysts."


His priorities lie directly with mine, now the question is, what am I doing about it?




"none of us are free if one of us is chained"

No comments:

Post a Comment