10 September 2009

A few months ago I wrote a letter to a friend talking about how I missed having a creative outlet. About how I needed to start a new hobby or find some inspiration somewhere and how I really hoped I could figure all of this out in moving back to Boston. I wrote to this specific person because I thought they knew me and would know what to say to make me feel better. I got no response.

So I assumed my thoughts were outlandish and I was embarrassed I said anything at all and quickly convinced myself to get over it. Since I'm no longer letting said person control my emotions, I've gotten myself back to where I was and I want to do things. I want to learn, read, write, dance, sing, run, volunteer, open myself up to as many possibilities as I can for as long as I can. This thought process has also stemmed from being on campus for freshman move-in, welcome week and the start of classes. I miss it. So I started taking initiative.

I realized that although my entire life has revolved around music and dance, I now have no hobbies. So, I looked into everything in the area. I miss dance more then anything, but I can't afford it right now, so I signed up for a gym membership at Northeastern. With my awesome benefits I get a pretty big rebate back and I'm paying an incredibly low price for the Marino Center. I've been going every day after work and it really is true that revving up your endorphins really makes a difference in your mood (Is it the placebo effect? Maybe. But it's working.) I even started meeting Vilva there and he gave me some workouts that are killing me, in a good way. I also signed up for the NU 5k run on September 26th. Wish me luck!

Although working out is a good start, I would hardly call it a hobby. So, you are now reading the blog of a new member of NU's Chorus. I couldn't be more excited. I haven't sung in about three years so I'm definitely rusty, and it wasn't as easy as I thought it was to 'get back on the horse'. But the good thing about that is I need to spend more time reviewing what I use to know and studying the music. We are singing Beethoven's Mass in C as well as Four Scottish Songs he wrote. It's refreshing to have music back into my life in a way that makes me happy, unlike my undergraduate degree. Our concert is December 5th. See you there!

So, I'm on my way. I have another project up my sleeve for tonight, more on that next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment