12 July 2011

In the beginning of June I wrote about how an old mentor of mine had passed away. I recently found a great ode to him in the Asbury Park Press. It's beautifully written, but I couldn't help but notice that it didn't mention the fact that he was a piano teacher.. although the one about his memorial service does. I guess it could be seen as a good thing when you had a life so abundant in love and success that its near impossible to remember every little part of it. He rocked The Jukes, Asbury, Bruce, and he will be sorely missed by many. But he touched the lives of so many other people who knew him on a personal level. I knew him as a loving father, and an amazing teacher and friend, as someone who sat with me while I was determined to play through the entire Les Miserables playbook without every practicing at home. He never gave up on me, and I miss him more than ever now that he's gone.

When Clarence Clemmons passed away shortly after, New Jersey took another huge loss and I selfishly felt as though The Big Man's death, as sad as it is, has overshadowed Kevin's. I'm now happy to see that people are coming together and playing tribute shows to them both, and recognizing both Kevin and Clemmons as Jersey shore legends. Watch them rock here. Rest In Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment