28 October 2009

Anne, from Life in Pencil, recently wrote about her life working in academia and what it means to her, along with how our goals may change, but that doesn't mean they won't come full circle again. This is something I sometimes think about. Whenever I talk to someone about "my job" or "my work" I have a hard time explain why I am an assistant. The obvious reason is I'm going to grad school for next to nothing. But the truth is, I really like it here. Seeing how the University works from the inside gives me a great perspective and much more respect then I had as a student. I find myself sometimes talking to students who are bitching about the "NU Shuffle" or one of many issues students have with the University, and siding with the University. If they only knew all of the things people are dealing with around the clock to make this experience perfect for them. And it's never perfect. You're always annoyed with something, someone. I know I was. But I love seeing how the other side of it works. Now, I'm not saying I'm going to get an MPA or stick around longer than originally planned, but I'm so grateful for this job. I'm learning things I never really planned on learning, and some things that may not specifically benefit me in the future, but I love learning them. I love being on the side that not everyone understands, and I love seeing things from a different perspective. Anne put it perfectly:

"And one thing is for sure—I love working in a university environment. I love that my meetings necessitate a walk along tree-lined sidewalks crowded with scholarly-looking people, and students hunched over with backpacks. I love the fact that I work with people who love learning, and who constantly seek new opportunities for development—both personal and professional. I love that I surround myself with symbols of my scholarly past, present, and future."

Unfortunately, last night's youth workshop was uneventful. The trainer was great at what she did, but I didn't learn anything. Positive note? This just means I already know a lot of the basics of how to work with youth. Hopefully the next one will be more engaging. Next up: Chorus rehearsal tonight, singing Beethoven's Mass in C! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment