14 November 2009

Thanks to Kelly, a current volunteer for Teachers for Vietnam, for leading me to one of the best pieces on the experience of living abroad that I've ever read. The part that jumped out to me the most, as if I could have written it myself:

"It was December 1963, and I was glad to be gone. I'd been dismayed by the spirit of the times, the violence, the complacency, the racism, the militarism, the weird quest for material goods. I was well aware, with a lightness of soul, that I was unburdened. Everything I owned in the world fitted into the small suitcase I had with me. I had nothing in the bank, no property; did not own so much as a chair. I was superbly portable. I had just turned twenty-two."

Incredibly insightful article that has once again made me think about my next adventure.. and wonder if in fact I'll even have one. I just re-read the article again. Beautiful, in a way that you might not be able to understand unless you've put yourself in that position.

Two other articles that are making me think this morning about the balance of travel and settling:
Being a minimalist in today's society and a woman who was humbled by that article. My head is spinning this morning.


On a completely unrelated note, music. I've been trying to listen to more and to learn to love it again. I've been listening to a lot of Bruce Springsteen, he was amazing live when I saw him with my mom last year, and I'd love to see him again knowing even more of his music. My all time favorites are Brilliant Disguise, Thunder Road and Born to Run. Thunder Road might be my number one... jury's still out.

Also, I've finally given into Vilva, and I actually like Paramore. I don't have a lot of their beginning stuff (don't worry, he'll get it to me soon) but their new album is really good. A few songs I'd suggest listening to are All I Wanted, Misguided Ghosts, and The Only Exception. They are slower and the lyrics are pretty great.

That's all for now. I'm missing certain people terribly and consequently hating certain countries and oceans and time zones. But I am looking forward to going home for Thanksgiving to see my OG crew. Sometimes it's good to visit your roots and I need to remember that. I blow them off far too often for my Boston life. I'm working on it! See you guys in two weeks! xoxo.


1 comment:

  1. You totally just mentioned 3 of my favorite Springsteen songs! I'd throw "Secret Garden" and "Better Days" in there too.

    ReplyDelete